St Faith’s is committed to encouraging safe and sustainable travel, by identifying transport challenges and issues, and developing innovative solutions.
The School has a travel plan in place which is designed to provide parents, pupils and staff with the information and tools they need to travel to and from the School in the safest and most sustainable ways.
We actively encourage the use of bicycles as a healthy option for the school commute and to help reduce traffic around the school.
The following are in place to support cyclists:
Cycling Skills Training
- There is currently no charge for pupils to take part in a range of cycling proficiency courses.
- Bikeability Level 1, 2 and 3 courses are run by Outspoken Training.
- All courses are currently held twice per year during holiday periods.
- Level 1 & 2 training is available to pupils from Years 3-8.
- Level 3 training is available to pupils from Years 6-8.
- Dates of courses are published in the School’s Activities Booklet or a communication sent to parents.
Outspoken Training also run private courses. For details of the courses they provide for adults and children please click on the buttons below.
Dr Bike Workshops
These workshops offer pupils the opportunity to have a mini service carried out on their bicycle, on site and at no cost.
- Workshops are held at the start of every term, with parents being sent the date of the workshop in advance.
- A first come, first served booking system applies.
Further information for cyclists:
- Wooden cycle gate installed along Newton Road – this is an automatic gate which allows larger bikes e.g. cargo bikes easier site access.
- Cycling safety is promoted by the school with safety briefings, distribution of bike equipment such as lights, bag reflectors etc.
- There are a number of cycle routes to St Faiths – please click on the link below to access the Council’s city cycle map.
Parents are asked to ensure that their child/children have appropriate safety equipment including a cycle helmet.
No cycling is permitted on the School site and on the pavement outside the front of the School (Trumpington Road) for safety purposes.
Park & Ride Minibus
The school operates a minibus service from Trumpington Park & Ride.
- St Faith’s operates a minibus from Trumpington Park & Ride that depart at 7.50 am. There is a small charge of £2 per journey for the service.
- Places on the bus are pre-booked only, on a first come, first served basis. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book.)
- This journey is mornings only and there is no after school return service.
- On arrival at the school, children are escorted to the school grounds where they make their way to their respective classrooms.
St Faith’s is well-connected by public transport services, with bus routes having stops outside of the school, and the Cambridge Railway Station nearby.
Buses operate close to St Faith’s with increased options at the Cambridge Railway Station.
- Universal U travels from Eddington through Brooklands Avenue to Cambridge Biomedical Campus and vice versa.
- Trumpington Park & Ride travels from Trumpington P&R through Trumpington Road to Downing Street and vice versa.
- The Busway A route travel from St Ives to Cambridge Railway Station which is a 15 minute walk from St Faith’s. Depending on location this option may only be viable for returns; as specific stops do not begin to operate until a certain time of day.
More information about public bus routes:
Cambridge Railway Station is located 15 minutes walk away from the school.
- The Trainline website (also available on all phone app stores) offers real-time travel info and is simple to use.
- Children under the age of fifteen can receive a 50% discount on most tickets from National Rail.
- Children under the age of fifteen can travel for just £2 with Great Northern service.
Pupil Drop Off / Pick Up
There are drop-off zones around the School site which allow a secure drop-off immediately outside a school entrance gate.
There are two zones – one along Newton Road and one along Trumpington Road (both are clearly marked) which have been allocated for quick drop-offs.
Pupils may be collected on site. Gates open with the pupil gate code (which is updated termly and sent to parents separately) at specified times.
Parking is available at the Cambridge Football Stadium for parents when picking their child up.
St Faith’s Informal One Way Circuit ensures a safe traffic environment around the school and prevents ‘U’ turns on roads. Entry into the system is via entry to Bentley Road from Trumpington Road; signs are in place to indicate the entrance and exit of the St Faith’s informal one-way circuit.
Parking Options and Special Permissions
Parking options provide shorter and longer term parking solutions when you need to accompany your child into the school, or at pick-up time.
Parking is available in the following areas:
- Trumpington Road – for a maximum of 15 minutes from 07.00 am until 4.00 pm.
- Bentley Road and Newton Road – it is necessary to purchase a parking ticket in certain areas of Newton Road; parking is currently otherwise gratis.
- Please do not park on Trumpington Road or Newton Road between 7.30 am and 8.45 am to facilitate the drop off process.
- Cambridge Football Stadium – available weekdays for use between 3.00 pm and 5.30 pm (October half-term to March) and 3.00 pm to 6.00 pm (April to October half-term).
- Please do not park in the Cambridge Lakes Golf Course as this is not available for St Faith’s use.
- Parents with babies between the age of 0-18 months have the opportunity to apply for a Mother and Baby Parking Card.
- The card allows parents to park in the Sports Hall Car Park between 3.00 pm and 6.00 pm. In order to apply for a card parents are requested to complete the following form.
- On completion of the form, the Deputy Bursar will provide parents with an access card. Any queries relating to the scheme should be directed to the Deputy Bursar.
Late Stay Pick Up
There are several parking options for parents collecting children from our Late Stay service. They are as follows:
- Gate 4 (Southfield) Car Park – the gate is open between the hours of 4.30 pm and 17.45 pm.
- Sports Hall Car Park – offers very limited spaces, parents are able to park there between 4.00 pm and 6.00 pm. The pupil gate code (which is updated termly and sent to parents separately is required to access the car park).
- Cambridge Football Stadium. The car park is open between 3.00 pm and 5.30 pm (October half-term to March) and 3.00 pm to 6.00 pm (April to October half-term).